As part of the class, participants receive a comprehensive course book providing invaluable information, explanations, and tips for students not only during the session, but after it’s conclusion as well. Also, each student receives a set of Downloadable Guided Meditations (MP3) that are utilized throughout the eight week program and that also provide a seamless transition from the end of the course to the beginning of your independent practice. This wonderful series of meditations are a direct descendant of the Dr. Jon Kabat Zinn MBSR Program at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center and could not be provided without his generous and exceptional guidance. The course culminates with an all day meditation retreat, an absolute once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Reasons people participate in MBSR:
- Stress — job, family, financial, health, or even no known cause
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety and panic
- GI distress
- Sleep disturbances
- High blood pressure
Two decades of published research indicates the majority of people who complete MBSR courses report:
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations
The amazing component of the eight week session is in participants’ ability to experience and practice while still under the guidance of instructor Michelle DuVal. Many times beginning and intermediate practitioners experience set backs due to unanswered questions about distractions, posture, overactive minds, paradigm shifts, and how to effectively bring mindfulness into work and/or family environments – questions they didn’t know they’d have in the preliminary stages. Or they give up too soon because of misperceptions about the successful integration of the practice into our daily lives.
This eight week session is the antidote. The longer timeframe allows participants to find answers to their questions, the discipline for a truly enriching experience of mindfulness, and therefore a successful integration of the practice into where we need it most: our lives.
If you’ve ever wanted to learn meditation, you won’t want to miss this amazing opportunity. If in the past you’ve tried to develop a practice but couldn’t seem to stay with it, this eight week session is the course for you. Experts say it takes 21 days for a habit to become ingrained, and with the support of the group, you will finally be able to CREATE AND STICK TO a practice that will give you tremendous benefit.
Summary of Benefits of the 8 Week Program:
- A dynamic course for profound yet easy to understand instruction on mindfulness meditation.
- Easy-to-implement methods for a successful and disciplined practice – even if you’ve struggled in the past.
- Time to experience and practice on your own while still under the guidance of the instructor.
- Time to get all questions answered – even the ones you didn’t know you’d have.
- Day long retreat – a once in a lifetime experience.
- Comprehensive course book you can refer back to again and again…as well as share with family and friends.
- Set of Guided Meditations based on the internationally acclaimed program by Dr. Jon Kabat Zinn
Benefits of an Ongoing Meditation Practice
- Physiological Benefits
- Lower blood pressure and pulse rate
- Increased brain activation in regions associated with positive thoughts and mood
- Cognitive benefits
- Increased ability to concentrate
- Increase in ability to be non-judgmental
- Increased self-awareness
- Increase in positive thoughts
- Emotional benefits
- Increased ability to regulate emotions
- Increased capacity for empathy
- Increased capacity for compassion