“The light at the end of the tunnel isn’t an illusion…the tunnel is.”
The Mindful Center
Invites You and Your Team
To Join Us in Hopkins, Belize
for the team-Retreat of a lifetime.
Dec. 8 – 14, 2019
This retreat will focus on 3 core competencies,
using the skills of mindfulness
to forge a new path ahead:
1. Stress Reduction
3. Conflict Management
- MODULE ONE: Stress Reduction
- The stress executives and employees face today is unparelleled, and to ignore the very real consequences of unchecked stress puts any team and company in a danger zone. Stress leads directly to sleep issues, anxiety, burnout, weight gain, disease, interpersonal problems, and depression, which in turn leads to decreased job performance, decreased concentration, more sick days, and an unhappy and unhealthy work environment. While difficult to measure, the enormous bottom line impact of stress is undeniable.
- Your team will learn scientifically-proven methods of mindfulness from a true leader in the field. These methods will lead them to new levels of performance and success, help them decrease their stress on a daily basis, handle stressful situations at work and home with greater resiliency, and to achieve their personal and professional goals. This specific piece of the training is built around the latest brain research related to peak performance, resilience, focus, and flow. This training enhances the human capacity of mindfulness through established and empirically supported practices and exercises, tailored to fit the needs and desires of the team, organization and individual. The foundation of this training is drawn from the highly respected and empirically-supported Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program, and incorporates specific practices and exercises formulated to correspond to recent neuroscientific findings and related research regarding optimal performance.
- MODULE TWO: Communication
- When team members don’t communicate clearly, the result is conflict, poor performance, lack of trust, and stress.
- Your team will learn the fundamental tools of mindful listening, an accepted approach to workplace communication across the world. To listen mindfully is to let go of the initial judgements and retorts that come into our minds, and simply hear what another has to say. Mindful listening allows us to be conscious of our physical and mental presence throughout the conversation, which can help us uncover some unknown biases that we all have when listening to someone else’s perspective or point of view. Participants will also learn how to use mindfulness to speak without making it personal, which reduces stress, over-reaction, fear, and volatility. The group will not only learn to listen more deeply and attentively, but will be able to be heard more clearly.
- MODULE THREE: Conflict Management
- Conflict in an organization is especially troublesome. When you get people together, conflict always arises, but not everyone is well-trained to deal with it. People tend to avoid or ignore it rather than face it. In the worst case, it can cause poor judgment, failure to communicate, the creation of factions or silos, and turnover. During conflict especially, we have a difficult time seeing things as they are.
- Building on the mindful stress management and communications skills we learned, participants will learn powerful tools to move beyond personal interpretations and face conflict in a mature, open, thoughtful way. Conflict is transformed into an opportunity to learn, grow, and find solutions, creating value instead of destroying it.
MEET THE INSTRUCTORS:
Michelle DuVal – Director of The Mindful Center
Michelle is the leading expert on mindfulness in the Southwest United States, with her programs appearing in such top organizations as Sandia National Laboratories, Boeing, Comcast, Wells Fargo, Presbyterian Healthplan, and the University of New Mexico. She’s provided ongoing trainings for the Albuquerque Police Dept., the Albuquerque Public School System, and is a featured trainer at conferences across the world. She is also a certified Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) instructor, and is the only second generation MBSR teacher in the world. She is one of the highest rated mindfulness teachers on the international meditation app Insight Timer, and is sought out by individuals and major organizations alike to bring her level of training and expertise into workplace environments. Her main strength comes from 16+ years of teaching mindfulness coupled with a deep understanding of the neuroscientific research behind it, and she helps teams integrate the practices where they need it the most like few can.
Paul Short – Managing Member of West Fork Consulting
Paul is a Serial Entrepreneur, having founded numerous companies, raising tens of millions in Venture Capital, and engineering successful exits. After receiving a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Paul started his first company, InnovASIC, in 1992. He bootstrapped that into a multi-million dollar business, then raised Venture Capital in order to transform it into a scalable business. Innovasic was eventually sold to a multinational corporation. Subsequently, as Venture Partner at New Mexico’s leading Venture Capital firm, Paul helped found and run a number of startups, including software, water technology, and chemical companies. He led a turnaround effort at Altela that provided an exit to investors, and he was the founding CEO of Pajarito Powder, the world’s only volume manufacturer of platinum-free catalysts for fuel cells. An expert in venture capital, technology commercialization, and startup formation, Paul holds 10 patents. While traveling this path, Paul came to understand that corporate culture – the way people work together – is the number one driver of a company’s success, and thus needs the focused attention of the executive staff. At InnovASIC, Paul drove the creation of a culture focused on performance, and based on building trust and communication among the staff, customers, and suppliers. In his subsequent endeavors, Paul has been deeply studying the integration of mindfulness into corporate culture, and is now devoted to helping teams bring this essential tool into their own workplace culture.
ABOUT THE ACCOMMODATIONS
In order to both keep this retreat focused on team building while respecting the needs of the individual,
we’ve booked a gorgeous series of Seaview Villas and Beachfront Cottages.
Each accommodation can be used for individuals or couples, depending on the preference of how you’d like your retreat to be structured.
Housed in a 2-storey condo-style building, each of our Seaview Villas features 1000 sq. ft. of interior space. Enclosed balconies (upper level) & patios (ground level), in-room & outdoor sitting areas, and outdoor personal plunge pools.
All Beachfront Cottages have FULL views of the ocean just 60 feet away. Each cottage has its own private porch with hammock and feature Saltillo tile floors, ceiling fans, mahogany furnishings and vaulted-ceilings.
December temperatures in Belize fall to an average low of 71°F with highs of 80°F for a monthly average of around 75°F – the perfect weather to enjoy a comfortable December, warm enough for swimming and with pleasantly cool evenings.
7:00 AM – 8:00 AM: Morning meditation
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM: Breakfast (Included)
9:45 AM – 11:45 AM: Morning Module
12 PM – 4 PM: Free Time or Scheduled Group Activities
4 PM – 6:00 PM: Evening Module
Arrival Day- Sunday, Dec. 8th: Please arrive by 6 pm,
our orientation & first practice will begin at 7 pm.
Departure Day – Saturday, Dec. 14th:
We will wrap up our last morning sessions and be able to depart by 11 am.
Six Nights Accommodation at Jaguar Reef Lodge (seen in video below)
All Group Sessions
One on One Sessions with Both Teachers
Daily Maid/ Concierge Service
Access to All Beaches and Swimming Pools
Send Off Soiree Dinner
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED:
Daily Lunch and Dinner
Transportation to/from airport (between $132.75 – $235 roundtrip)
POTENTIAL GROUP ACTIVITIES TO CHOOSE FROM:
- SUP (Stand Up Paddle)
- Bike Rides
- Boogie/Surf Boards
- Surf Lessons
- Massage / Spa/ Body work
- Waterfall Rappelling
- Maya Ruins Tour
- Monkey River Tour
The closest airport to the Jaguar Reef Lodge is Belize City airport. We will help coordinate your travel to and from the hotel.